Assist. Prof. Dr. Murat Erdem
Ege University, Faculty of Letters
American Culture and Literature Department
35100 Bornova, Izmir Turkey
Phone: +90 232 311 22 73
Fax: +90 232 388 11 02
• Ege University Ph. D. American Culture and Literature Department, Institute of Social Sciences, Izmir, 2005
• Ege University M.A. American Culture and Literature Department, Institute of Social Sciences, Izmir, 1999
• Dokuz Eylül University B.A. American Culture and Literature Department, Faculty of Arts and Sciences, Izmir, 1995
THESIS AND DISSERTATION
• Ph.D. Degree with a thesis entitled “Turkish-American Cultural Relations (1960-1980)”.
• M.A. Degree with a thesis entitled “The Reflections of USA and Turkish-American Relations in the Political Humor Magazines Published in Turkey between 1945-1960″.
• Vice-Chair, Ege University, American Culture and Literature Department 2016-present
• Assist. Prof. Dr, Ege University, American Culture and Literature Department 2006-present
• Section Head of American Culture and Literature, 2007-2010
• Instructor, Ege University, American Culture and Literature Department 2005-2006
• Research Assistant, Ege University, American Culture and Literature Department 1995-2005
• Editor, (with Ayşe Lahur Kırtunç and Atilla Silkü) Proceedings of the Fifteenth International Cultural Studies Symposium “Culture and Space”, Ege University Publishing House, Izmir 2016.
• Editor, (with Lois Helmbold and A.Silkü) Proceedings of Thirteenth International Cultural Studies Symposium “Change and Challenge”, Ege University Publishing House, Izmir 2012.
• Editor, (with A.Silkü and Patric R. Folk) Proceedings of Eleventh International Cultural Studies Symposium “Memory and Nostalgia”, Ege University Publication, Izmir 2009.
• Editor, (with A.Kirtunc and E.Arapoglou) Proceedings of Ninth International Cultural Studies Symposium “City in Culture, Culture in City”, Ege University Publication, Izmir 2005.
• Editor, (with A.Kirtunc, A.Silkü, K.Rose) Proceedings of Seventh International Cultural Studies Symposium “Selves at Home, Selves in Exiles The Stories of Emplacement and Displacement”, Ege University Publication, Izmir 2003.
• “Edebi Gazetecilik Kavramı: ABD Örneğindeki Gelişimi, Yapısı ve İçeriği.” Atatürk Ünıversıtesı Sosyal Bilimler Enstitüsü Dergisi, 20(1), 2016. 129-144.
• “11 Eylül Sonrası Türk-Amerikan İlişkileri ve Karikatüre Yansıması.” Gazi Üniversitesi, İletişim Kuram ve Araştırma Dergisi(40), 2015. 291-314.
• "US President L.B. Johnson's Letter of 1964 and Its Impact on Turkish Public Opinion". The Journal of International Social Research, 7(33), 2014. 306-314.
• “Anti-Americanism in Turkey and Its Reflections after September 11” Journal of TURKBILIM, issue 8, Ege University, Faculty of Communication. Izmir, Turkey, 2012. 137-159.
• “Perceptions of American Aid as Reflected in Political Cartoons Published in Turkish Humor Magazines 1945-1960” American Turkish Encounters: Politics and Culture, 1830-1989 (ed. N.B. Criss et.al). Cambridge Scholar Publishing, Newcastle, U.K., 2011. 344-354.
• “Turkey ‘Little America’”. Interactions, Ege Journal of British and American Studies Ege University, Vol.18.1, 57-71 Faculty of Letters, Izmir,2009. 57-71
• “Culture, Politics and Cartoons: Representation, Power and Resistance” Media and Politics. Publication of Faculty of Communication, Izmir, 2007. 179-189
• “Political Cartoons in the Classroom: Alternative Texts in Teaching History”, Faculty of Education Journal, Dokuz Eylül University Publication, Izmir, 2005. 131-140.
• “American Philanthropy in Republican Turkey: The Case of Rockefeller and Ford Foundations”, The Turkish Yearbook of International Relations, Research Center for International Political and Economic Relations, Ankara University, Faculty of Political Science Publications,2002. 131-159.
• "Concept, Content and Form in Literary Journalism: The American Experience." VII. European Conference on Social and Behavioral Sciences, Bucharest, Romania.2015
• Journalism as Literature, History as Novel: Norman K. Mailer's Armies of the Night. ICA - International Communication Association ve Lodz Üniversitesi, "Expanding Communication: Old Boundaries and New Frontiers, Lodz, Poland. 2015
• “Culture, Politics and Cartoons: Representation, Power and Resistance” International Symposium on Media and Politics. Organized by Ege University, Faculty of Communication, Izmir, Nov. 15-17, 2007
• “Perceptions of American Aid as Reflected in Political Cartoons Published in Turkey 1945-1960″ International Symposium on The History of American-Turkish Relations: 1833-1989. Bogazici University, Istanbul. June 4-10, 2006
• “History of Democracy in the USA” Conference organized by American Global Forum, Izmir Private Turk College, Jan 15, 2005
• “Political Cartoons in the Classroom: Alternative Texts in Teaching History”. Symposium on New Approaches in Teaching History, On Sekiz Mart University, Faculty of Education, Çanakkale. Oct.10-12, 2002. (in Turkish)
• “American Philanthropy in Republican Turkey: The Case of Rockefeller and Ford Foundations”, paper presented with Dr. Kenneth Rose in the International Symposium on 200 Years of Turkish-American Relations – Nov. 8, 2000, Ankara,Turkey.
• “Reflections of Turkish-American Relations in Political Cartoons: 1945-1950” paper presented in the 23rd Annual American Studies Seminar organized by United States Information Service and Turkish-American Studies Association, Nov. 6, 1998, Mersin, Turkey.
• “Turkish-American Relations since the Foundation of Modern Turkish Republic” paper presented in The 75th Anniversary of the Foundation of Turkish Republic and Social Sciences Symposium, organized by Ege University, Oct.16, 1998 Izmir.
261 US History I - II
136 Üniversite Yaşamına Geçiş
311 US International Relations
254 History of American Literature III-IV
142 American History I-II
311 US International Relations
252 Kültür İncelemeleri
250 Topluma Hizmet Uygulamaları
252 Kültür İncelemeleri (FOZ)
323 History of Turkish-American Relations
518 Mass Media and Institutions in USA (M.A)
539 Turkish-American Relations (M.A.)
611 Studies in American Cultural History I-II (Ph.D.)
956 Kültür İncelemeleri (İ.Ö.)
Assistant Editor, Journal of American Studies of Turkey, “Special Chicano Issue” Issue 23, June 2006
Assistant Editor, Journal of American Studies of Turkey, Special “U.S. History Issue” Issue 22, March 2005
Assistant Editor, Journal of American Studies of Turkey, Special EAAS Issue “Challenging America”, March 2005
Assistant Editor, Journal of American Studies of Turkey, Issue 15, December 2003
Assistant Editor, Journal of American Studies of Turkey, “Special 9/11 Issue” Issue 14, November 2003
Assistant Editor, Journal of American Studies of Turkey, “Special Chicano Issue” Issue 12, September 2003
Assistant Editor, Journal of American Studies of Turkey, Issue 13, October 2003
Assistant Editor, Journal of American Studies of Turkey, Issue 11, May 2003
Co-Editor, ASAT Newsletter, Issue 4-5-6-7-8-9-19 (2000-2003)
Editorial Board Member, Bulletin of Faculty of Letters, Ege University, Izmir, 1998-1999
1. ÇOMAK HAZAL. Trans/posthumanist Themes in American Science Fiction Novels. Ege University, 2016.
2. SERTEL SEDEN. Representation of America and American Identity in the 21st Century Through Political, Social and Cultural Issues as Reflected in South Park. Ege University, 2013.
3. KOSACI SEHER. Amerikan Filmlerinde Siyasi Hicvin Temsili ve 1960'lı Yıllardaki Yansımaları. Ege University, 2012.
4. ERÇELEBİ ZEYNEP. Women Writers and Madness in Contemporary American Literature. Ege University, 2011.
5. KAYA ONUR. 11 Eylül Sonrası Amerikan Filmlerinde Ortadoğulu Kimliklerin Temsili. Ege University, 2010.
GRANTS and Teaching Experience
• FULBRIGHT, Grant for participation in the American Studies Institute on “US Foreign Policy: Foundations and Formulation”, Walker Institute of International Studies, University of South Carolina, U.S.A. (June-August 2002).
• TFAS (The Fund for American Studies) Grant for participation in the Institute for Economic and Political Studies Program organized by Georgetown University and The Greek Association For Atlantic and European Cooperation, Crete, GREECE (June-Aug. 2001).
• USIS, Cultural Affairs Office of the American Embassy, Ankara. Grant for participation in the Athens American Studies Seminar entitled “Greek and American Perspectives On the Cold War and Its Aftermath 1945-2001”organized by Panteion University, American Embassy, The American College of Greece, Deere College, Athens, GREECE (March-April 2001)
• RAC (Rockefeller Archive Center) Fellowship, Research and Study on the “Rockefeller Philanthropy and Turkey”, NYC, U.S.A. (June-July 1999)
• DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service) Scholar, Herder Institute at Leipzig University, GERMANY, (June-August 1998)
ORGANIZATION OF NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCES
• Ege University, 15th Cultural Studies Symposium, May 6-8, 2015, Izmir / Cultre and Space
• EAAS -EUROPEAN ASSOCIATION FOR AMERICAN STUDIES BIENNIAL CONFERENCE The Health of the Nation March 30-April 2, Ege University Izmir Turkey – http://www.eaas2012.org/en/
• Ege University, 13th Cultural Studies Symposium, May 4-6, 2011, Izmir Change and Challenge
• Ege University, 11th Cultural Studies Symposium, May 9-11, 2007, Izmir memory and Nostalgia
• Ege University, 9th Cultural Studies Symposium, May 5-7, 2004, Izmir [ city in (culture] in city]
• Administrative Assistant to the Director of 7th International Cultural Studies Symposium Selves at Home, Selves in Exile: Stories of Emplacement and Displacement, co-organized by Departments of English and American Literature and Culture, the British Council, ASAT and the Cultural Office of The US Embassy (May 2002).
• Ege University, 6th Cultural Studies Symposium, May 9-11, 2001, Izmir Globalization and transcultural issues in the new world order
• Ege University, 5th Cultural Studies Symposium, May 10-12, 2000, Izmir new cultural perspectives in the millennium
• Ege University, 4th Cultural Studies Symposium, May 12-14, 1999, Izmir d i a lo g u e and d i f f e r e n c e
• Ege University, 3rd Cultural Studies Symposium, May 13-15, 1998, Izmir p o p u l a r c u l t u r e ( s )
• Ege University, 2nd Cultural Studies Symposium, May 14-16, 1997, Izmir the history of culture, the culture of history
• Ege University, 1st Cultural Studies Symposium, May 15-17, 1996, Izmir crossing the boundaries: cultural studies in the UK and the US
• Member of the Organizing Committee of the Annual International Ege University Cultural Studies Symposium at Ege University held by the Departments of American Culture & Literature, English Language and Literature, The British Council and the United States Embassy in Ankara. The following Symposiums have been organized since 1996.
ASAT (American Studies Association of Turkey, Ankara), Yönetim Kurulu Üyesi, 2002-2003.
İLAD- İletişim Araştırmaları Derneği, Üye, 2015-
EAAS (European Association for American Studies, Salzburg, Austria), Üye, 2003-2008.
OAH (Organization of American Historians, Indiana USA), Üye, 1999-2003.
ASAT (American Studies Association of Turkey, Ankara), Üye, 1996-2008.
SERVICE TO THE UNIVERSITY
• Erasmus-Socrates Representative of Department of American Culture and Literature, 2002-2004
• Assistant to Director, Committee of Public Relations for the Spring Festival at Ege University, 1999-2000
• Representative of Art and Cultural Affairs of Faculty of Letters, Ege Univ.,1998-1999
• Web Administrator (2000-2010) :
http://ake.ege.edu.tr (Department of American Culture and Literature, Ege University)
http://css.ege.edu.tr (International Cultural Studies Symposium, Ege University)